Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Greetings from Albania! A way-too-hot Albania, that is (102°F today). I am tonight updating this blog from an air-conditioned hotel in Durrës, after giving up on camping for a couple days until it cools down a little. I have never been in a country without a MacDonald's before, but this seems to be it. No KFC's, either. I have seen these and a few Burger Kings everywhere else. Another indication of a forgotten place is the Cellular I have - UK "3" which works everywhere in the EU (60 countries!) but not here!  I have discovered that Albanian drivers are no better than Greek drivers - these places have been the most dangerous for me to ride in since cars ignore all the rules, crowd me in my lane while passing and even pass me on the right-shoulder! Then there are the Albanian mountains! Switchbacks galore with some radii no more than a few feet. On top of that, I am trying to get around one of these and not hit oncoming cars half in my lane & then I must also avoid an unattended  mule in the curve munching on some grass on the edge.  Another adventure, I am afraid...but once again I made it!
P.S.; power out a few time, once for a while, but it comes back on. I wondered if it was going to be another hot night! I am reminded that even in the US/CAN, it sometimes does that on really heavy-use days.

No comments:

Post a Comment