Wednesday, May 24, 2017

"An adventure is a disaster that didn't happen"   me, circa 1980 or so

And that was how today went for one reason only - wind!! I am guessing the gusts were around 100 kmh near Tarifa, the little village that is the most southern point of Spain. I went there thinking; well, couldn't get a good picture of the African coast from Gibraltar because of the wind (hell, you can barely see the boats!) so I'll go there. Almost fell over a couple times (at stops & slow corners) and was blown out of my lane a few times on the road. But hey, I made it! Couldn't very well put up a tent in that wind, could I? So now I am in a little country campground just west of Seville. Now south of there, after the winds calmed somewhat, I saw that this was a farming area which looked remarkably like north/central Iowa - with lots of wheat & corn and an amazing number of giant sunflower fields nestled in the hills. This time, 2-lane blacktop even felt like Iowa riding! Speaking of which, Granada was just another big city with snarled traffic - that does it, I'm staying out of cities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment