Friday, September 1, 2017

I am now in Italy, the last country of my trip and will be here for about 5 weeks until returning to Soufflenheim on Oct. 11th for my flight back to Ann Arbor, Michigan. Yesterday I spent the entire day in the tent while it rained in Altdorf, Switzerland. In thinking back, it is really quite amazing how stark the contrast can be between the high-tax wealthy nations and the low-tax poorer places. There just as many Ferraris in each, but the road and infrastructure quality is amazing in the richer countries. It appears these folks are in in fact getting their money's worth in quality of life improvement. An example is the picture (another in the "taken from inside the tent" series), the Swiss cable-car lift is another way to get around and see the mountains, which could otherwise be very difficult to access. I of course did not do this on such a rainy day. So I wait for the rain to end so I can walk to the store 1/4 mile away and it didn't. So I grab my rain jacket and start walking, thinking there would be a crosswalk to get across the busy rounabout. There wasn't - there was a pedestrian underpass! Awesome way to help prevent children (huh, & old men...) from getting run over by those crazy drivers you see everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment